Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Worth the Effort

In an attempt to save money I've been cutting coupons and using competitors ads since last fall. However, I wasn't very consistent; I did it off-and-on when I felt like it.

Recently someone recommended that I read this blog about couponing. I have started to use her couponing method and am motivated to "beat the system" every time I go shopping!

Last week I saved over $10 during my weekly trip to Walmart.

This week was even better.

Walmart wanted me to pay $29.92 for these 7 items today.

I did my homework before shopping and brought coupons and comp adds.

My total was $18.42.

That's a savings of $11.50.

If I were to save $10 a week for a year that would be $520 that I do not have to give to Walmart.

What should I do with my $520? :)

5 comments:

ElleDuncan said...

Hey Shawn,
Isn't it a rush to know you're saving $$. I started following a couple of similar blogs last fall, and I've scored some great deals at Wal-Mart and Walgreens.
If you ever need extra coupons, let me know. I get 3 full sets every week, and then a hodgepodge from a neighbor who cuts what she wants and gives me the rest. (My stash goes back to November, I think.)
Do you guys have an Aldi up there? I also started to do lots of grocery shopping there, and it has greatly reduced my grocery bill.
Have fun! Share some more great deals!
~Lynette

Alison said...

Good for you! So fun to see your deals at WM!

My husband and I have been trying to save with coupons (but we're just getting started), especially since we have a little one on the way and I'm quitting my full-time job. Last week at Walgreens we saved about $40 on household items. It's such a great feeling!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shawn! I love using coupons. I got a bottle of Kraft salad dressing last week for 8 cents. It was great. Go to moneysavingmom.com and it is a great source. I get their newsletter and it has great coupons and where to find deals.

Little S said...

Thanks for the encouragement girls! I hope to get better and better at the "grocery game."

Lynette, we have an aldi in Rogers. I've always thought about going there, but never have. I'll have to check it out. How do you get three sets of coupons weekly?

Alison, I saw your blog about the $40. That's awesome!! Looking forward to seeing pictures of Jack soon! Btw, I still can't leave comments on your blog, but I read it faithfully. :)

Lisa, moneysavingmom.com is on my lengthy list of frugal blogs that I read daily. What other sites do you read?

Alison said...

Darn! I wish blogger wasn't giving you issues. Thanks for reading despite all that :-).