Saturday, October 13, 2012

101 Reasons Why I Do Not Sew

I thought it would be fun to make hooded towels for my nieces for Christmas.
 
Bought all the supplies at least a month ago and finally worked up the courage to start sewing today. 
 
Less than 20 minutes into the project the sewing machine needle broke. 
 
But I pushed through and figured out how to replace it.  I was pretty proud of my self! 
 
With the new sewing machine needle I was able to finish the hood. Woohoo!
 
However, the finished hood looked a little strange--see? 
 I thought maybe if I continued with connecting the hood to the towel then the strangeness would work itself out. 
 
But it was SO strange looking that I decided maybe I'd better reread the instructions. 
 
Turns out I made one of the cuts opposite from what the instructions said to do. 
 
This kind of thing happens every time I sew!
 
The hood could not be salvaged...so I turned it into an odd shaped bag for Anna. 
 
At least I still have a few months before Christmas. 
 
Maybe I'll try hooded towels again next month.

1 comment:

inpassing said...

Don't give up. Sewing is an acculative skill. Once you've accumlated enough errors, you finally know how to sew. Terry Cloth (towel material) is really hard on needles. The fact that you broke just one or didn't clog up your feeder with fuzz is amazing. My personal favorite error is the one where I've so carefully pinned a sleeve in place, sewed it perfectly, turned it right-side out...and Voila...I'd pinned the sleeve on wrong-side out. Keep trying! Pretty soon you'll accumulate enough errors to be really, really good!