Thursday, September 1, 2011

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo

Saturday morning I made bear pancakes for the kids and told them we were going to the zoo to see the bears. (We haven't been to the zoo since K was Anna's age.) I could see the wheels spinning in Kellen's cautious heart. He thought for a few minutes and asked, "Will there be a lot of bears?" "Will they be angry bears?" I assured him that the bears would be in a cage or behind fence and that we would be safe. He was still not so sure about this thing called the zoo. :)


As we were getting in the car, he asked, "Will Anna be afraid of the bears?" Haha! I assured him she would not and that he did not have any reason to be afraid either. The first section we visited at the zoo was the snakes and lizards. Kellen would randomly come up and grab my hand and ask if there was going to be a bear. He honestly thought the bears were just roaming around the zoo and could be right around the corner. Poor guy! So we decided to make a bee line for the bears to ease his fears.

The family in front of the black bear--do you see him in the back left? After we saw the bears Kellen relaxed and had a much better time. I love that kid!!



Posing on the lions. Anna was not impressed.



Petting the goat.


The monkeys.


A great big thank you to our friends in Arkansas who gifted us with a season pass to the zoo!! Now that Kellen knows the bears are not going to eat him, we will be taking many more trips to the zoo. Come visit and we'll show you around. ;)


4 comments:

Alison said...

How fun! Super cute pancakes :-).

Cat said...

VERY cute pancakes! And so glad you're getting to go to the zoo..I wish we had one here...

Leslie said...

What a great gift idea! I can totally see Kellen walking around looking for bears :)

Amy said...

So glad you've started using it! We'll have to join you one of these days.