Thursday, January 7, 2010

He's not trying. . .

. . .to get on my nerves.

I have to remind myself of that daily (sometimes hourly).

ALL. DAY. LONG. I hear "ut's at?" (what's that) and "Oo's at?" (who's that) As a result I spend my day identifying items and people. "Cup, table, window, I don't know her name-she's a lady shopping just like we are, peas, stop sign, I don't know who that is-just a man driving his car, mole, tires, lasagna." On and on it goes!

At first it was sweet to see my boy discovering the world around him. Now, however, I sometimes think he just asks to get under my skin. I want to shout, "Stop asking!" I have to remind myself that Kellen is experiencing everything for the first time and I am his source of information. It still gets on my nerves!

I guess when this phase passes, we will move onto the "why?" phase. At which point, I'm sure I will wish we were back in the What's That? and Who's That? phase, when at least I knew the answers. :)

5 comments:

Marissa said...

I can totally identify! I remember a phase Christopher went through when he wanted to know "Whose car is that?" about every single car we saw on the road. He couldn't understand why I didn't know! And yes, the questions get more complicated. Today's highlight was: "What do cows put in milk? What does God put in the ingredients?" Um . . .

Leslie said...

So this is where the labeling is going?! And, I was so excited about it... :) Hope Kellen is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I so remember that phase and the why phase does come next. That is the phase that we are in and some days I feel like screaming too. Some of the questions ARE really hard to answer. :)

inpassing said...

Travis' "why" stage was accompanied with the phrase "what cha doing?" over and over again!!

Cat said...

I feel your pain!! I want to tell Ethan to play the "quiet game" about a million times a day (we're into the "whys?"). Every morning I try to challenge myself to answer every question to the best of my ability. But by the end of the day my answer is "because". The joys. :)